Assistant Professor (Political Science)
Specialization: Political Science and International Politics and Relations
M.A., M.Phil. Pursuing Ph.D. (Political Science)
Email - email@example.com
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
• Ph. D. (Political Science) from Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. (registered in April, 2015 and presently pursuing).
• M. Phil. (Political Science) from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 2003.
• M.A. (Political Science) from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 2000.
• B.A. from Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University, Agra in 1997.
• Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) in Political Science in June, 2005.
Ph. D. topic: The Changing Contours of Dalit Identities and Legal Responses in India: Re- Contextualizing Phule, Gandhi and Ambedkar in Contemporary Dalit Discourses.
M.Phil. Dissertation Topic: The Politics of Protest: A Critical Analysis of Dalit Literature.
Areas of Research Interest:
Dalit Politics and Poetics in India, Multiculturalism, Identity Politics, Caste and Politics in India, Dalits and Human Rights, Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Indian Politics, International Relations, International Political Economy etc.
• Presently, Assistant Professor (Political Science), KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai. India. http://law.nmims.edu/faculty-and-research/faculty/ravi-saxena/
• Visiting faculty, Department of International Relations, School of Liberal Studies, Pandit Deen Dayal Petroleum University (PDPU), Gandhinagar, Gujarat & IET, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat). (January 04, 2016 up to June 25, 2016).
• Assistant Professor (Political Science & IR), Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad, (Gujarat) from May 15, 2010 up to December 03, 2015.
• Assistant Professor (Political Science), Govt. College for Girls, Sector-11, Chandigarh for the academic session 2009-2010.
• Guest Lecturer, Dept. of Emerging Areas of Social Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh in the academic session 2008-09. I took the paper “Self-Determination and Human Rights” in the M.A. (Human Rights)-II course.
• Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Government College for Boys, Sector-11, Chandigarh for the academic session 2007-08.
• Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Government College for Girls, Sector 11, Chandigarh for academic session 2006-07.
• Indian Political Thought
• Western Political Thought
• Political Theory
• Political Obligation and State
• Indian Political System
• Comparative Politics
• International Politics and Relations
• International Political Economy
• Public Administration
• Ancient Indian Intellectual Tradition and Modern World
• Local Self Government and Panchayat Administration
Teaching Pedagogy and Innovation:
Have been instrumental in the Course Curricula Development of the following courses:
• Indian Political Thought
• Western Political Thought
• Political Theory
• Indian Political System
• Public Administration
• International Relations
• Ancient Indian Intellectual Tradition and Modern World
Total Teaching Experience: 10 years
• Research Associate- Mahatma Gandhi Labour Institute, Ahmedabad (Gujarat). March 01, 2016- June 30, 2016. Editing Three Volumes on Dr. B. R. Ambedkar’s socio-political philosophy.
Total Industry Experience: 4 months
Fellowships, Achievements, Awards, Consultancy, and Honors:
• Appreciation of Excellence in Research Award 2013-14, Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
• Appointed as a committee member of “The International Symposium on Society, Technology, Education and Politics”, April 06, 2012, China.
Co-Curricular and extra-Curricular:
• Participated and awarded with First Prize in the competition of Documentary Making and Slogan Writing in the academic year 2015-16, organized by Centre for Environment Law, Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
• Council Member-International Union for the Conservation of Nature- World Council for Environmental Law (IUCN-WCEL).
• Member- Advisory Panel: ProBono India, http://probono-india.in/advisory-panel.php.
Summits, Conferences and Seminars:
• Invited to present the paper “Caste in the Public Sphere and Indian State: A Human Rights Perspective” in The Asia Pacific Association for EU Studies (Eusa-Asia Pacific), on June 04-05, 2012, hosted by the EU Centre in Singapore (National University of Singapore).
• Participated in a ‘Panel-Discussion’ on “Hind Swaraj: An Alternative”, held on May 02, 2006 under the aegis of Servants of the People Society, (Chandigarh branch). Prof. Samdung Rinpoche, the Prime Minister of the Tibetan Government (in Exile) was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
• Participated as a Delegate: The Gateway of India Geoeconomic Dialogue: Where Geopolitics meets Business, an international conclave co-hosted by Gateway House, Mumbai and the Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India, N. Delhi.
• Resource Person: 3rd GNLU Annual Legal Services Forum 2018, organised by GNLU Centre for Law and Society, Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar (Gujarat), April 13-14, 2018. Spoke on Social Justice and Universal Basic Income. Also was the part of panel to judge the best papers, along with Prof. Vidyut Joshi, Former Vice-Chancellor and renowned sociologist.
• Resource Person: Delivered a lecture on ‘Tradition, Caste and Education in Jotiba Phule’s Thought: Some Reflections’, in the international conference on ‘Retrieving the Voices from the Margins: Thinkers of Modern India’, August 10-13, 2017 at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. This international conference was jointly organized by Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi and Indian Institute of Advance Study (IIAS), Shimla.
• Resource Person: delivered a lecture on ‘Social Work with reference to Gandhian Approach and Relevance of Gandhian Ideology for Contemporary World’, April 19, 2016, Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar (Gujarat).
• Chaired a technical session on Legal System, Education and Good Governance in the 3rd International Conference on Gujarat Model of Governance: Lessons and Future Scope, organized by Centre for Governance Systems, Gujarat Technical University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) India, April 25-26, 2015.
• Chaired a session on 'Human Rights Approach towards Sustainable Development' in the International Conference on Sustainability organized by Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL) and Ontorio International Development Agency (OIDA), at Chandigarh Judicial Academy, Sector 43-A, Chandigarh on December 4-5, 2013.
• Presented a paper titled “Tradition, Caste and Education in Jotiba Phule’s Thought: Some Reflections” in the international seminar on ‘Retrieving the Voices from the Margins: Thinkers of Modern India’, August 11-13, 2017, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (U.P.). The international seminar was jointly organized by the IT-BHU, Varanasi and Indian Institute of Advance Study (IIAS), Shimla.
• Presented a paper titled “Towards the Annihilation of Caste: Resituating Ambedkar in the Contemporary Dalit Discourses”, in the International Seminar on Philosophy of B. R. Ambedkar in Contemporary Period, March 17-18, 2016 at Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar (Gujarat).
• Presented a paper (on invitation) on "Dalit Politics and Poetics in Contemporary India: Some Reflections" in the International Conference on "Critical Race Theory and Critical Dalit Studies: Understanding Segregation, Exclusion, Intersectionality and the Narratives of Struggle" organized jointly by Dr. Ambedkar Centre for Social Justice, Phule-Ambedkar Chair, University of Mumbai, Mumbai (India) and Indiana University, USA on June 25-26, 2015.
• Presented a paper titled “Contemporary Indo-Pak Relations; Exploring the Political Impasse” in an international conference on India’s Foreign Relations-South-East Asia and the Indian Ocean: Strengthening Political, Economic, Security and Cultural Prospects, September 12-13, 2014, at Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (Gujarat).
• Paper accepted for presentation in the Third International Conference on Religion and Spirituality in Society, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA, March 8-9, 2013.
• Paper titled “The 73rd and 74th Amendment Acts, 1992 and Decentralization in India: An Impact Analysis” accepted in IPSA's XXIInd World Congress of Political Science, Reshaping Power, Shifting Boundaries. Madrid, by International Political Science Association, Montreal (Canada), July 2012.
• Presented a paper titled “Contextualizing Dr. Ambedkar’s Annihilation of Caste in Contemporary Discourse of Distributive Justice in India, in the national seminar on The Contemporary Relevance of Social and Political Thought of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, March 19-20, 2016, Mahatma Gandhi Labour Institute, Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
• Presented a research paper on “Status Of Differently-abled Persons In Society: Reservation Versus Healthy Work Environment” in Twentieth Conference Of Gujarat Sociological Society and School Of Social Sciences, Central University Of Gujarat, Gandhinagar (India). The Theme of the conference was “Social Development in Gujarat and India: Retrospect and Prospects”, held on January 19-20, 2013.
• Presented a research paper on “The 73rd And 74th Constitutional Acts, 1992: An Impact Analysis Of Organization And Decentralization In India” in the 3rd Annual National Conference 2013 on “Vision 2020: Future Of Law And Legal Transformation”, held on 24-25 January, 2013 at Institute Of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) India.
• Presented a paper on “Indian Nation at Crossroad: A Gandhi-Nehru Debate” in two days National Seminar on “Social Exclusion, Discourse in the Thought of Phule, Ambedkar, Gandhi and Nehru” held on March 12-13, 2012 organized by CSSEIP & Dept. Of Philosophy, Goa University, Goa.
• Presented a paper on “Caste in Social Realm in India: A Human Rights Perspectives” in a two day National Seminar on “Law, Science & Society: Dynamics, Dilemmas, Disparities” held on January 27-28, 2012. Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
• Presented a paper on “Ambedkar and Annihilation of caste: Reading in Contemporary Times” in two days National Seminar on “Role of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar in National Reconstruction” held on March 1-2, 2012 organized by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Study Centre, S.R.K. (P.G.), College, Firozabad (U.P.).
• Presented a paper in two days National Conference on “Folk in India” organised by the School of Humanities, IGNOU, New Delhi in August 30-31, 2011.
• Presented a paper on “Dalit Poetics and Politics in Contemporary India: Contextualizing Ambedkar” in two days National Seminar on “Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s Perspective of Equality and Its Relevance in the Era of Globalization” held on November 29-30, 2011 Organized by: CSSEIP Pondicherry University, Puducherry.
• Presented a paper entitled, “Human Rights and Dalit Politics in India” in the one day National Seminar on “Equality & Human Rights” held on March 14, 2009 in the CEASS, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
• Presented a paper on “(Multi) Culturalism: An Indian Experience” in a National Seminar on “Religion, Nation and Literature: Rethinking Affiliations,” held on May 20, 2007 at Smt. B.D. Jain (Girls) P.G. College, Agra Cantt., Agra.
• Participated in a National Seminar on “Evaluation of concept of Human Rights and Emerging Dimensions of Human Rights”, held on Nov. 29-30, 2006 at Sri Guru Govind Singh College, Sector 26, Chandigarh.
• Participated in the ‘Debate’ on “Vivekananda’s Views on Caste” organized by the Centre for Swami Vivekananda Studies, Panjab University on the occasion of National Youth Day, held at Dept. of Philosophy, Panjab University, Chandigarh on January 12, 2007.
• Presented a paper entitled, “Interrogating issues in India’s Experiments with Multiculturalism: Some Reflections on the Situation of Dalits, Religious Minorities and Pravasis” in the three days National Seminar on “Foundations of Social Life: Cultural, Aesthetics and Religious” (Sponsored by ASIHSS, UGC) held on Dec. 6-8, 2006 in the Dept. of Philosophy, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
• Political Science- I. N. Delhi: LexisNexis India. ISBN: 978-93-5143-702-4. 2016.
• The Politics of Protest: A Critical Analysis of Dalit Poetics and Politics in India. 2013. Saarbrucken (Germany): LAP. ISBN: 978-3-659-38096-9.
Books: Edited Volumes (Forthcoming):
• Editing three volumes on The Social and Political Thought of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar and its Contemporary Relevance. Expected to be published by March- May, 2018. Working with Govt. of Gujarat, Gujarat.
• Saxena, Ravi and Vaibhav Shah. ‘Quest for Academic Autonomy and the Making of Public Intellectuals: Some Reflections on Martha Nussbaum’s Humanity Project’, Dialogue, Vol.19, No.2, (October-December 2017). pp. 143-158.
• Saxena, Ravi. ‘The Annihilation of Caste, Joothan and Cultural Questioning’, UGC approved research journal The Scholastic Forum, Volume III, No.1 & 2, March-September 2017, D.A.V. College, Chandigarh. Pp. 98-107. ISSN: 2395-0889.
• Saxena, Ravi. “Democracy, Plurality and Higher Education in India: A Perspective”, The Scholastic Forum, Vol.1, No.2, September, 2016. pp. 62-72. ISSN: 2395-0889.
• Saxena, Ravi. “Globalization, Role of Education and Professional Education: A Layman’s Labour”, Libertatem, Vol.1, Issue 8, September 15, 2015. www.mylibertatem.com. ISSN: 2395-4418. Pp. 27-28.
• Saxena, Ravi. “Caste, Constitutionalism and Human Rights in Modern India: A Gandhian Critique”, Indian Journal of Lifelong Learning and Development, Department of Adult Education, Savitribai Phule University, Pune. Vol.3, No.3, July-September, 2015, pp. 58-72. ISSN: 2454-6852.
• Saxena, Ravi and Saurabh Anand. “Scripting Women in Modern Political System in India: Roots and Routs” in GNLU Journal of Law, Development and Politics, Vol.4, Issue 1, April. 2014. Pp. 91-99.ISSN: 0975-0193.
• Saxena, Ravi. “The 73rd and 74th Amendment Acts, 1992:An Impact Analysis of Decentralization in India” in Journal of Centre for Law and Governance (JCLG), Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad, Vol.1, Issue 1, July 2014. Pp. 43-53. ISSN No. 2348-7801.
• Saxena, Ravi. “The Dalit Question: Reading Godan and Joothan as Narratives of Dalit Protest.” in Panjab University Research Journal (Arts), Vol. XXXVI (1&2), April-October, 2009. Pp.90-112. ISSN: 0970-5260.
• Saxena, Ravi. “Interrogative Issues in India’s Experiments with Multiculturalism: Some Reflections on the Situation of Dalits, Religious Minorities and Pravasis” in UGC approved research journal DIVINER, Vol. 4(2), Feb-July, 2007. pp. 135-140. Journal No. 48523. ISSN No. 09738320.
• Saxena, Ravi. ‘Is Dalit a Hindu?’, BW Businessworld, November 19, 2017 issue, available at http://businessworld.in/article/Is-Dalit-a-Hindu-/19-10-2017-128713/
• Member- International Political Science Association (IPSA).
• Member-International Union for the Conservation of Nature- World Council for Environmental Law (IUCN-WCEL).
• Member-Gujarat Sociological Society, Membership No. GSS-O-LMN-386.
• Member- International Society for Environmental Information Sciences (ISEIS).
• Member - International Association of Conscious & Creative Writers (IACCW).
• Member- Advisory Panel: ProBono India, A Plateform to Integrate Legal Aid and Awareness Initiatives, Link: http://www.probono-india.in/advisory-panel.php
• Associate Editor: Spaces and Flows: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Urban and Extra Urban Studies (ISSN 2154-8676), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
• Associate Editor: The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social and Community Studies, Vol.10, Issue 1.
• Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Social Sciences “TIJOSS”. Website http://www.tijoss.com/Editorial Board.html.
• Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Innovation and Informative Multidisciplinary Research, Website: http://ijiimr.com/index.php/Home/editorialBoard.
Workshops and Training Programmes Participated:
• Attended and Participated in two-day Faculty Development Programme (FDP) on ‘Law and Policy of Taxation with Reference to GST’, November 4-5, 2016 at NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai.
• Participated in and successfully completed Research Methodology Workshop on “Legal and Interdisciplinary Research”, organized by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (Gujarat) India, August 7-13, 2015.
• Attended and participated in One Week long “Faculty Development Program”, January 24-30, 2014, organized by Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) India.
• Attended and participated in Three Week long Special Interdisciplinary Summer School (Equivalent to Refresher Course-) on Higher Education: National Repository of Human Capital, organized by UGC-Academic Staff College and University School of Open Learning, Panjab University, Chandigarh from June 10, 2014- June 30, 2014. Passed with Grade-A.
• Attended and participated in Four Week long “UGC Sponsored Orientation Programme” held at Academic Staff College, Panjab University, Chandigarh from May 3-30, 2012 with Grade A.
• Attended and participated in a Two-Week long “Induction Training Program” held on June 7-19, 2010, at Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
Service to the Institution and Administrative Responsibilities:
• Faculty Coordinator: Loquitor’16 (A national Debate Competition), KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai, March 10-12, 2017.
• Member, Academic Committee, KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai, October 15, 2017 onwards.
• Faculty Coordinator: Debate Society, KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai, September 15, 2016 onwards.
• Faculty Coordinator: MUN Society, KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai, September 15, 2016 –October 15, 2017.
• Faculty Coordinator: Chancellor’s Challenge (An Entrepreneurial Event at University Level) KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai, September 15, 2016 onwards.
• Faculty Coordinator: E- Cell, KPM School of Law, NMIMS (Deemed-to-be-University), Mumbai, September 15, 2016 onwards.
• Conference Secretary (Organizing): International Conference on “Law, Society and Sustainable Development: Problems and Prospects”, Institute of law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat), February 17-18, 2014.
• Conference Secretary (Organizing): International Conference on “Strengthening Climate Justice Initiatives at the Local Level: Sustainable Livelihood with a Focus on Farmers”, November 08-09, 2014 at Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) India. This conference was organized as a joint initiative of Nirma University, Ahmedabad and National Council for Climate Change and Sustainable Development and Public Leadership (NCCSD).
• Chief Coordinator: VIBES’14- A National Cultural and Sports Festival, April 11-13, 2014, Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad. (Gujarat), India.
• Faculty Coordinator: Students’ Welfare Board, Institute Of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) India. 2013-14.
• Convener, B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) / Semester IV in academic session Jan.-June, 2013 at Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmebadad.
• Convener, B.A.,LL.B. (Hons.) / Semester V in academic session July-December 2012 at Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmebadad.
• Faculty Coordinator: Students’ Welfare Board, academic session 2011- 2014 at Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
• Faculty Coordinator: Sports in academic session 2010-2011 at Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad.
• Advisor, Committee concerning the issues concerning “Theory, Culture and Representation” (April 16, 2008) by the India Center, Global College, Long Island University, Bangalore, India.
• Course Coordinator: Ancient Indian Intellectual Tradition and Modern World: Problems and Prospects, One Credit Enrichment Course, taught to all the undergraduate students at Institute of Law, Nirma University. This is a unique course to sensitize the Indian students about the Indian knowledge tradition, and its contemporary relevance in professional field. Course is offered in academic Sessions: 2014-2015.
• Coordinator- Cultural Meet on “Migrant Literature, Culture and Society: A Discourse on Homeland and Destination”, organized at Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (Gujarat) in collaboration with Govind Ballabh Pant Social Science Institute, Jhusi, Allahabad (U.P). This project (Migration and Cultural Traditions of Bhojpuri Region: A Research and Documentation Programme) is supported by The Tata Trusts, Mumbai and Convened by Professor Badrinarayan, Centre for the Study of Discrimination and Exclusion, Jawaharlal Nehru University, N. Delhi. January, 2016.
• Participated in the Ten Days N.S.S. Camp organized by the Panjab University in connection with the “Healthy Youth for Healthy India” campaign launched by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, at village Khuda-Lahora, Mohali, Punjab and conducted by Government College (Men), Sector-11, Chandigarh from 27-07-2007---06-10-2007.