Professor & Academic Advisor
BA (Hons), PGDBA (IIMA)
Areas of Specialization
Creative Writing, Television, Cinema, Economics.
Academic Profile/ Research Experience
• PGDBA from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA), 1972.
• BA (Hons) Econ from Delhi University, 1970
• Nuffield Press Fellow, Cambridge University, UK., 1985
- Nuffield Press Fellow, 1985. Nuffield Foundation, Wolfsan College, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- Best Playwright’s Award, 1972. Maharashtra Rajya Sanskrutik Mahamandal, Govt of Maharashtra, Mumbai.
- Several Awards for Excellence in Television Work from RAPA (Radio and TV Practioners Association), Mumbai.
- Best Teachers Award on several occasions at FLAME University, Pune.
• Founder-Dean, FLAME School of Communication, FLAME University, Pune (2006- 2015)
• Founder-Director, MET Institute of Mass Media, Mumbai (2005-2006).
• Adjunct Faculty, FLAME University (2015 to date)
Teaching & Pedagogical Innovations
• Created an academic program anchored in liberal education for FLAME, the first of its kind in India
• Designed India’s first-ever Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) in the field of Communication and Media and got it approved by AICTE.
Have conceived and produced over 2000 hours of highly successful television programming for several broadcasting groups including Sony, Zee, Eenadu and DD. Winner of several awards for excellence in TV programming including six RAPA Awards.
Had a long and rewarding career in management consultancy with the Tatas. Sr Consultant and Divisional Manager at Tata Economic Consultancy Services, Mumbai. Successfully led teams of professionals from different disciplines to conduct techno-economic feasibility studies and marketing studies. Clients included large corporations in private, public and foreign sectors as well as banks and governmental agencies.
Conducted corporate training in areas ranging from “Effective Communication” to “Creative Thinking and Innovation” for various corporations including the Tata group, Force Motors and Indian Oil.
Editor-in-Chief, "The Economic Scene" published by Tatas (1980-87) Wrote "The State of the Nation Report” hailed as "a very concise and comprehensive report that more than justifies its title" (Financial Express). Writer, Director and Producer of Marathi experimental theatre. Member of Jury at several theatre and youth festivals. Member, Panel of Experts, “Mumbai Vision: 2015”.
Conferences & Research Papers
Vaze, Achyut. Towards Building A Model for Predicting TV Ratings. Paper published in Communication Today, a Quarterly devoted to Mass Media. September 2016.
Vaze, Achyut. Towards a Model for Predicting TV Ratings. Paper presented at a FLAME Seminar in honour of Prof PM Shingi. December 22, 2014. At FLAME University, Pune.
Vaze, Achyut. Technological Advancement In Indian Television: Its Role In Development. Paper presented at National Seminar on Media Issues and Social Transformation (MIST 2014). January 10, 11 and 12, 2014. At Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies (VIPS), New Delhi.
Vaze, Achyut. Children’s Television Programming In India: An Analysis Of Trends And Evolution. Paper presented at National Seminar on Contemporary Media Issues and Themes. October 22-23, 2013. Garden City College, Bangalore.
Vaze, Achyut. The Growth And Trends Of Regional Language Television Programming In India. Paper presented at National Seminar on Contemporary Media Issues and Themes,. October 22-23, 2013. Garden City College, Bangalore.
Vaze, Achyut. Hinduism And Internet - An Essay On Websites, Blogs, Social Media, Censorship And ‘Internet Hindu’. Paper presented at 5th Roundtable of Asian Research Centre for Religion and Social Communication. With Dr Kiran Thakur. October 16-18, 2012. At Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad
Vaze, Achyut. Trans-creation of a Work of Art in Theatre, Cinema and Television. Paper presented for Mumbai University, 19 September 2011. At Mumbai University, Kalina Campus.
Vaze, Achyut. Impact of Technology and Market Forces on India’s Broadcasting Scene. Paper presented at the 20th International Conference of the Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC). 24-27 June 2011. Hyderabad, India.
Vaze, Achyut. Do Media Organizations Practise What They Preach? A Study Of Website Attributes Of Online Editions Of English Newspapers Of India. Paper presented at the 20th International Conference of the Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC). With Dr Kiran Thakur. 24-27 June 2011. Hyderabad, India.